Maurice Sendak and Online Storytime



Did you hear about the passing of Maurice Sendak? Where the Wild Things are is one of my very favorite children's book so I was so sad to hear that news this morning. He was 83 years old and left us some of the best stories and amazing illustrations ever!

The reason I love Where the Wild Things Are so much is probably because my mom read it to me so much as a kid. I don't remember not knowing this story. I remember one day when my brother was only about 3 years old my mom was sitting on the couch with him and they had this book. She was turning the pages but he was telling the story- word for word! I'm not sure if he was reading it or had it memorized, but that's how much we love this book. To this day it's a favorite for both of us.

If  you'll miss Maurice Sendak too, I'd love to hear about it! Please leave a comment and share your memories or you favorite book.

I wanted to pay tribute this morning but couldn't quickly find my copy of Where the Wild Things Are so I played it from the Barnes & Noble website over my projector. Have you seen this yet?

It's Barnes & Noble's Online Storytime. They have a new story every month. Some, if not all are read by the author which I just love! I almost cried listening to Maurice Sendak's voice reading that story.  We listened to Chris Van Allsburg's The Polar Express and Christmas time too.
Maybe it's something you can use too. Just click on the picture for the link.
Hope you can enjoy it!

 Chrissy

2 comments

  1. I love this book too. Thanks for the tip about B&N online readings!


    Kimberley
    First in Maine

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't know he'd died. That's very sad.
    Thank you for the story link.
    Barbara
    Grade ONEderful
    Ruby Slippers

    ReplyDelete

Your comments mean so much!

Back to Top