Alphabet Letter Exchange- Ready, Set, Go!

It's that time again... the Alphabet Letter Exchange is ready to go! 

Last year there were over 280 teachers who participated in the project. Thanks so much to all of them for enabling this project to continue. The first year I did it I just hoped for 25 other teachers so that my class could do it. I love getting to know other teachers through this project and finding out about different schools and places through the notes teachers send with their letter of the alphabet. If any of you have photos of your alphabet from last year and it would be okay with you if I published it in a blog post, please email it to firstgradefoundme@gmail.com. Every year teachers ask for ideas and want to know what the letter might look like.

If you'd like to participate in the project this year, please read the project description below and fill out the google form at the bottom of this post.

Here's how the project works:

1. Your class will be assigned a letter of the alphabet and put into a group with 25 other teachers. Each teacher would have their class decorate 26 of that letter. A template like the letter below will be provided. You'll print it on cardstock and have your class decorate it. Decorate it however you like, just have fun and get creative!
2. You'll need to mail 25 of the letters to the members of your group and you'll keep one. Each teacher is responsible for their own postage charges. Some people send their letters in manilla envelopes and some fold them and put them in letter size envelopes. It really depends on how the letter is decorated. Either way is okay. At the end of the project you should have a complete, unique, student-made alphabet!

3. You could also include a short letter about your class, school, and where you live. This is optional.

The project will run from September 1st-30th to give everyone time to get back to school, decorate, and mail their letters. If possible, try to send your letter as early in September as possible.

I'd love to have you participate! Just a little favor, though, please sign up only if you really intend to follow through with the project. It is heartbreaking to kids and teachers alike to end up with an incomplete alphabet

Just a couple more little things:
I'm planning to stop sign-ups about August 1st so I can get the lists out. Also, I'll be in touch via email to give you any updates and send out the templates.

If you want to participate in the project this year, please click {here} and fill out the google form.

I've also made this button if you want to share about this exchange on your blog. I'm so happy to have you along on the wonderful bloggy adventure!

First Grade Found Me

UPDATE:
The Alphabet Exchange is FULL for 2014- 208 teachers from 38 states and 2 Canadian provinces.
You can still sign up to be on the WAIT LIST, though. It seems every year that a few teachers need to back out before the project gets started and I've been able to include a few more people. Click HERE for the wait list form. Group and letter assignments will be out within the next 2 weeks.


26 comments

  1. Yay! I just filled out the form and shared it on the Facebook page for my blog. Thanks for hosting again!
    Sara
    Polka Dot Kinders

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're so welcome Sara! Thanks for sharing about the project.

      Delete
  2. Thank you! My kids loved this activity last year! I can't wait to do it again this year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought about not doing it since I'll be teaching second grade, but I enjoy it too much too!

      Delete
  3. Oh, yay!! I participated last year and am looking forward to participating again this year. My kindergartners learned so much about other states and schools through this exchange, and were very excited every time a new envelope came in. I am certain that my new crop of kindergartners will enjoy it just as much. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're so welcome! It is so exciting for the kids to get mail, isn't it?

      Delete
  4. I am so excited! I can't wait for my kiddos to experience this!

    Marcy
    Searching for Teacher Balance

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the name of your blog! Have you found the balance yet, ha! ha! Your blog is very pretty too. Thanks for signing up.

      Delete
  5. My class and I enjoyed doing this last year! So fun! Thanks for hosting again!

    Gwen

    ReplyDelete
  6. We did this last year and it was sooooo much fun. After posting them around a map in the hall, I put each letter in a page protector along with the message from that class. My students loved looking at them all year long!!! Thank you for hosting this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome! I'm glad they enjoyed it. This year I think I'll put my letters where they'll be up all year too.

      Delete
  7. My kids loved this last year. I am so excited that we get to do it again! Can't wait.
    Laura

    ReplyDelete
  8. All signed up! Last year a lot of people didn't send letters but I'm still doing it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad you signed up again! Hopefully more groups get all their letters.
      Chrissy

      First Grade Found Me

      Delete
  9. Although I'm not joining in, I think it's a fabulous idea. Kids always love getting mail! I hope you get some photos to post. I'd love to see what everyone is doing with them:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll definitely post them. There's a cute picture one teacher sent of the kids actually giving their letters to the mailman. It's adorable!

      Delete
  10. We LOVED this last year and it tied in so perfect with our first reading unit!! I want my whole team to participate this year so we can tie it into our curriculum even more. Is it okay if I just put my email contact for all of them?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Marianna! I replied to your comment via email, but wanted to reply here as well so that it might answer that question for others too. The same email is fine, however the form should be filled out and submitted separately for each teacher.

      Delete
  11. Thanks for visiting my blog today! I love your design as well. I just signed up for the Alphabet Letter Exchange! I know my kiddos will love it.
    Stephanie
    Lunch, Snacks, and Recess

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for checking out my blog too! I'm glad you'll be part of the project.

      Delete
  12. Yay! I am so excited you are doing this again. I made my letters into a book last year and the kids loved it!
    Thank you for putting this all together!

    Caitlin
    Learning Ahoy!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Yippee! I've been waiting for the sign up! My kinder-bears absolutely loved participating last year. Our alphabet was the highlight of the hallway. We loved reading the letters, as did the bigger kids and teachers walking by to their classes. We had so many school visitors pop their heads in our door to tell us how much they enjoyed reading all of the letters and seeing the creative letters. ORLANDO is ready to go!!! Thanks for doing this again!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Last year was my first year participating in the alphabet exchange! My students absolutely loved it! I was one of the unfortunate teachers that didn't get every letter but I want to give it another try this year! Thanks for organizing such a huge world wide activity!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. All signed up and ready to go! It's such a great activity and the kids love it. We are looking forward to it, crossing our fingers that everyone follows through, too. One question that came up last year: any chance we can do lowercase letters? Thanks for organizing it all!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments mean so much!

Back to Top