We're Going to the Zoo! and freebies

We're going to the zoo! I'm taking class on a field trip later this month- Woohoo! Can you tell I'm excited? It's a large part of why I've been absent from blogging for a while. The rest was just me taking a little break in the evenings from school things. But I've missed this little ole' blog and all of my bloggy friends. You are amazing and such an inspiration!
Here's what's been keeping me busy...


My students are making an African Animals book. They're writing about each animal, making the habitat and then the animal. So far they've written about giraffes, zebras, and elephants and have made these two pages for the book. Four students will make a second animal to include in this bulletin board my mom made when we spent last Saturday at school.
 I also found and purchased Deanna Jump's Zoo Animals packet and that kept my busy many, many hours cutting out pieces for animals. It was worth it, though. I just love the way they turned out! We have monkeys and hippos left to make.
Next weekend I'll put up most of the projects, for now they're still stacked on the counter. My friend waits until close to Open House to put up here projects so that it's all still new for the kids so I thought I'd try that this year . My wonderful mom will be here again and we'll spend another Saturday at school. 
Here's another project from the last time she was here.
She created it and when my kiddos came in Monday morning they were so excited! This is where the monkeys will go. I also decided that it would be terrible to take down the tree in June, so next year my classroom will have an animal theme. Animal print borders around the calendar, animal-themed focus walls, etc. I'm starting to scope out the catalogs already.
Get your freebies here!
The other day I realized that some of my students couldn't read the names of the zoo animals we're learning about so I made a word search and an animal name matching paper if you'd like to grab them. Just click on the picture below.


In the last couple of weeks my students learned about the /ar/ sound in words and we just HAD to make these little guys.
I could not resist when I saw these- thank you, Abby at The Inspired Apple. I bought the packet which included an adorable story about Pirate Mark. I read it emphasizing the /ar/ sound in the words like a pirate would make the sound. My kiddos were almost crying from laughing so hard. It was so much fun!
On a personal note, we also went furniture shopping and bought a new couch and matching recliner. Our old one had a green, southwestern print... eeewwww! did I actually admit that? I didn't mind it years ago, but feel like entering it in an ugly couch competition now. Here's our new couch- we love it!
The little guy on the kitty condo is Stevie, our little blind kitty. I was concerned about how he would adjust to the new furniture. I shouldn't have been concerned at all. He walked right over and checked it all out. His sister, on the other hand, was so scared. I was holding her when she first saw the recliner and she buried her face in my arms. Poor little baby! She sat on the couch next to me yesterday, though, so I think she's okay with it now.
I just realized that it's after 11p.m. Time to go to bed I suppose. If you haven't seen it yet, Michelle, the 3 A.M. Teacher, wrote a great poem about teachers. She said we could share it so I hope this is okay with her. I'd like to send it out to all of you who inspire me every day.
Thank you!
 Chrissy

6 comments

  1. Hi Chrissy!
    Wow that was a great post full of fabulousness!
    I never mind if you pin stuff and I really appreciate your comments!
    Have a great Sunday!
    Reagan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Reagan! You have a great day too!
      --Chrissy

      Delete
  2. Your room and your animals are adorable!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :)
    What a great mom, too!!!!
    Your couch looks comfy!
    A Teeny Tiny Teacher

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad to have you back, Chrissy. I missed you:)
    Great post! it looks like your kids have been working hard and having a lot of fun.
    Thanks for the freebie.
    Barbara
    Grade ONEderful
    Ruby Slippers

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, do a farm unit!! ;) hehe.. I love those giraffes!! They're my fave, and those are too cute!!
    ❤Teri
    A Cupcake for the Teacher

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for following my blog!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments mean so much!

Back to Top