New Hard & Soft G Sounds Activity Pack (freebie & Currently too!)

Whew! That must be my longest blog post title yet. I've enjoyed my time off this summer so much. Just relaxing at home. It's been nice. At the beginning of summer we thought we'd lose our little blind kitty Stevie to his kidney disease. He's 4 years old and it hit him again hard! But with a lot of effort of his part, from us, and from our fabulous vet, he's still here- happy, purring, and playing.
Aside from that I've been able to catch up on some reading and get some things ready for this coming school year. I can't believe it's time to get back in the classroom already!

One of my projects was to finish up this hard/soft G sound packet I started using with my first graders last year. I had a group of higher readers who were getting confused about how G could sound like J in a word like huge. So I created a word sort and game for them to play with my instructional aide. They had so much fun with it! And it got them through that little struggle they were having. With more time to work on it the activity pack I've added a Read/Write the Room activity for my whole class to do and a few other things. I like having something like this because it's easy for my aide or parent volunteer to do with a group too. It looks like this and you can pick it up in my TPT store. It'll be in my TN store early tomorrow.
http://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Product/Going-on-Safari-a-soft-ghard-g-sound-activity-pack-1368767
My aide started off with a word sort to explain how the G sound changes depending on what follows it (often anyway).
They did this over a 2-day period. My aide is so wonderful and teaches some of our RTI groups, so she was able to judge what my students needed.

After that she thought they were ready to play this game

I wanted to save myself some printing, so next year I'll use these same cards for a Memory game. To play Memory with them I'll print a 2nd set of cards and sort them so that each pair of students gets only 16 words. I'll put each set a in a baggie and that way I'll actually have 3 games and can they can play Memory several times. Once the game has been played in a small group with me or with my aide or parent volunteer I may include it as a choice for Work on Words during Daily 5.

This word sort also helped incorporate what my students were learning about language.

You can check out the entire packet on my TPT store. I included a directions sheet for each activity so that an aide, volunteer, or sub can easily know what to do. Here's a little freebie from the packet for you. Just click on it to download.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B1WlMNXUXAS2QVpweFZZYWthVjA/edit?usp=sharing

I'll leave you with my Currently.

I almost forgot... I created some ocean themed number cards for Math Work Stations. They're in my stores too and I'll have school themed ones there tomorrow. Wow! Thanks for sticking with me  through all that! Have a terrific week back in the classroom or hanging out at home!
http://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Store/First-Grade-Found-Me-Chrissy-Heath



3 comments

  1. Hey there!

    We go back around the same time! Do you like going back a week earlier than most? I hate it in August but I love it when we get out at the end of May!

    -Brittany
    http://easingintoroom100.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello there! I'm loving summertime too! Can't believe it's time to go back already.

    Shannon
    The Teaching Twosome

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very glad to hear your kitty is fine!
    Your safari game looks very cute. G is tricky for my kids, too.
    Enjoy the next ten days of freedom:)

    ReplyDelete

Your comments mean so much!

Back to Top